top of page
  • msmithre

Will we pay capital gains tax on the sale of our property?

Something homeowners consider before selling their home is whether they will be paying capital gains taxes. While there are differences between states and municipalities there are some general guidelines homeowners can reference. Team Smith Wisconsin recommends first finding a great CPA and /or tax professional to advise you on your tax implications when selling your home.

"The 2 in 5 Year Rule:

The seller must have owned the home and used it as their principal residence for two out of the last five years (up to the date of closing). The two years do not have to be consecutive to qualify. The seller must not have sold a home in the last two years and claimed the capital gains tax exclusion.

Capital Gains Exclusion Amounts:

Single people can exclude up to $250,000 of the gain, and married people filing a joint return can exclude up to $500,000 of the gain.

(Widowed taxpayers may be able to increase the exclusion amount from $250,000 to $500,000 when meeting all of the following conditions.

  1. They sell their home within two years of the death of their spouse

  2. They haven’t remarried at the time of the sale

  3. Neither the seller or their late spouse took the exclusion on another home sold less than two years before the date of the current home sale

  4. They meet the two-year ownership and residence requirements." - Investopedia

As stated above, the rules and regulations apply differently based on residence, marital status and ownership length of time.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Can I sell my house "as is"?

There are many people who own a home or have inherited a home and ask the question, can I sell this house "as is"? The short answer is yes, the longer answer leads to questions: Do you really want to

We want to buy a house, what do we do?

Our belief is that we want to educate our 1st time home buyers first so they can make informed decisions throughout the process. Reach out to Team Smith @ 262-442-6988 and speak with Tanner to set-up

bottom of page